This recipe uses brown sugar in the base recipe as well as in the topping. If you are looking for a muffin with a little extra crunch, this is a nice one. It has a rather heavy dough so it is nice and filling.
Makes 12 muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 large)
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbps toasted wheat germ (in toaster oven about 2 mins)
Variations: use Muscovado or Demerara sugar as the topping for a little added flavour.
1. preheat oven to 350F
2. Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray
3. stir topping ingredients to remove all brown sugar lumps. set aside.
4. combine flour, sugar, baking powder and mix well. Add banana, skim milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites. Stir until dry ingredients are just wet (it’s a little tough to stir this one)
5. Fill tins about 3/4 full, sprinkle on topping.
6. Bake for 14-16 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove, sit for 5 minutes, then remove.